How to Lose Like A Winner
Let's face it. You can't win all the time. Everyone won't say yes. But guess what! A failure does not equate to defeat. I know I normally talk about more positive topics, but failure is inevitable. It is a natural part of life. I would go as far as to say failure is a necessity. You have to fall down to get back up. That's the beauty of the whole thing… You CAN get back up. And I'm here to tell you how.
10 Steps to Overcome Failure
- Realize you are not alone. Failure happens to everyone. There is a certain solace in knowing that we are not alone in situations. Regardless of your particular failure at the time, someone has failed in that same situation before you. And someone else is failing now.
- You have to just admit sh*t happens. Sometimes things happen out of your control. The only thing you have total control over is you. So your job when things happen out of your control is to accept it and let it go.
- The things that you do have control over can sometimes go wrong. We all make mistakes. Take personal responsibility for your mistakes and simply correct them. Just don't make the same exact mistake over and over.
4. Forgive yourself for messing up. You are not perfect and deserve a little grace and mercy. Accept that you messed up. Being angry and resentful only stunt your progress. Forgiveness is not only reserved for others; its just as healing when used for yourself.
5. Know, understand, and accept that your failure does not define you. The way you get up does. So get up fast, with integrity, and better than you were when you fell down.
6. Persevere. You may be only one step away from your success. Where would all be if Theodor Seuss Giesel decided to give up after being rejected by 25 book publishers. He would have never made it to number 27 and we would never know of Dr. Seuss or the Cat in the Hat, Horton, Green Eggs and Ham, or any of his other books that most of us used to learn to read.
7. Learn something. Every failure is a learning experience. What went wrong? How can you fix it? What lesson was hidden in the mix?
8. Find support. There's strength in numbers is not just a saying. It's true. When you commune with others that share in your experience and have overcome it gives you hope. It solidifies the existence of a solution. If they made it through, so can you.
9. Share your journey. Once you succeed, your testimonial becomes the help others need to get through their journey. Now you get to be the inspiration. It's your turn to give back.
10. Maintain your enthusiasm. Keep your destination at the forefront of your mind. Stay excited about it and embrace every step in the journey. Each failure looks like a step back but every step you continue to make is a step closer to your goal. If you let your failures diminish your enthusiasm, the passion to achieve success diminishes with it. Eventually, it doesn't matter if you continue or not… so you don't.
I leave you with this…. Keep at it!
**Bonus** (most importantly…)
Remember your WHY! What made you start this journey in the first place? If your driving force is deep enough, it will drive you straight to the finish line.
If you received anything from this post, comment below and share with a friend. You never know who else needs an extra push today.
Peace and love